Monday 18 March 2013

Rwanda's Good For Something.

By bringing up the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea's (DPRK) nuclear test they've reminded me I probably need to go and collect the results of the ECG test. As a result I've been reading up on the long QT syndrome that the test was supposed to be looking for.

It should come as absolutely no surprise to regular readers that much like Dementia there is no definitive test for long QT syndrome. Instead something called the "LQTS Diagnostic Score" is used. This involves points being awarded for 8 criteria such as the QTc (QT Interval/ root of the RR interval) and notching or variation in the T wave. These scores are then added up to give a probability that LQTS exists. A score of 4 or higher is considered high probability, 2-3 shows medium probability while a score of 1 indicates low probability. Therefore it is incredibly easy to classify someone as having a high probability of LQTS.

For example even though I've already been able to exclude 4 of the criteria (family history, deafness, being a child and fainting) all I would need to be classed as having a high probability is a QTc of over 460 (2 points) and ventricle tachycardia (2 points) or both T wave alternans (1 point) and 3 notched T waves (1 point). However I had a quick glance at the test as it was being done and the T waves didn't appear to be notching or alternating and my pulse rate certainly doesn't indicate tachycardia.

It's due to this high level of mis-diagnosis that the chances of someone classed with a high probability of LQTS actually having some sort of cardiac event is around 1 in 1400.

So at some point in the coming week to see what my GP's interpretation of my ECG results although I must say I'm finding it a little odd they didn't just send them to me.

22:00 on 18/3/13.


No comments: