Saturday 26 May 2012

Sweden Wins Eurovision.

Sweden's entry "Euphoria" by Loreen has won the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest by a landslide 113 votes. However with no major international summits taking place I see no reason to John Terry myself into the celebrations so I'll leave the full round up until tomorrow (27/5/12). Possibly because I've been on the wine.

Being serious for a moment though the United Nations Support Mission In Syria (UNSMIS) has confirmed that 32 children under the age of ten and 60 adults were killed by unidentified attackers in the town of Houla on Friday (25/5/12) evening local time. This is significantly less then the 7000 men and boys who were killed in a week at Srebrenica. Therefore the comparison was both inaccurate and tasteless considering that Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia & Herzegovina are still not exactly BFF's. However the sympathy vote along with the European Union's (EU) big guns support for new Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic's new found pro-EU stance, some people keeping their enemies close and a very Eurovision friendly ballad helped propel Serbia into third place.

So yeah the politics are back big time.


Edited at around 23:35 on 26/5/12 to add:

BBCNews had better pull their neck in on Syria because I've actually read the United Nations (UN) statement on Houla. While it they blame the Syrian government for using heavy weapons they stop short of blaming them for the massacre which was a separate event carried out with guns and knives. Now I'm going to have a beer and go to bed before I get so angry I say something I regret.

No comments: