Monday 22 October 2012

Well That Was Mature(!)

The British TV channel ITV1 broadcasts a political discussion show called "The Agenda" as condition of their broadcast license. In recent years it has been suggested that ITV have been making the show as boring as possible in order to make sure no-one watches allowing them to re-negotiate the terms of their license. As a result they've been making a big push on this new series booking high profile guests such as the leader of the Labour Party, Ed Miliband last week and the British Prime Minister, David Cameron tonight. Unfortunately BBC1 tried to steal all their viewers by broadcasting a current affairs documentary all about Jimmy Savile which people with an interest in politics/current affairs would have wanted to watch although it was just mawkish nonsense. This was clearly a retaliation for the ITV1 current affairs documentary that first broke the Jimmy Savile scandal.

In order to try and draw attention back onto themselves the people behind "The Agenda" got Cameron to use his Twittter account to plug the show using a picture portraying the presenter as a Bond villain. This was a pretty poor reference to a joke that's currently doing the rounds about the blond, sadist villain in the new Bond film being based on Jimmy Savile. I think Cameron agreed in the hope it would force me to interact with the show in an effort to keep me up to watch the US Presidential debate. Clearly that didn't work leaving Britain's Prime Minister as nothing more then a publicity stunt.

Oh and while I'm here in the interests of talking myself into trouble I should point out that as sure as night follows day a US Presidential debate has brought with it another twist in the Chris Brown/Rihanna saga. I'd like to pretend I'm shocked by the CIA trying to exploit the trauma of domestic abuse in an effort to recruit an asset but sadly I've dealt with them before. So I'm going to bed because it wouldn't be a very good test if I told them all the answers in advance now would it.

23:05 on 22/10/12.

No comments: