Saturday 30 June 2012

Egypt's Presidential Inauguration.

Today (30/6/12) Mohamed Morsi was formally sworn in as Egypt's first popularly elected President. I suppose I should start by apologise for crashing the ceremony this morning. I should also point out that I've not being ignoring the event - I'm just trying to be deliberately vague. That's because while I would have prefered a secular candidate to win I don't have any real problem with President Morsi.

However it is worth pointing out that with only 50.15% of voters taking part in the Presidential run-off Morsi's victory with 51.75% means that he only actually recieved 25.9% of the popular vote. That is significantly less then all secular candidates excluding Ahmed Shafik recieved in the first round. So it is fair to say that the Egyptian people most certainly have not given President Morsi a mandate to pursue an Islamist agenda. That is something he will be well served to remember.

No comments: