Friday 2 December 2011

Well No Surprises There Then.

It is around 16:25 on December 2nd and I have returned from the Royal Courts of Justice extremely late. This is because the court tried it damnedest not to hear the case at all. Firstly they claimed that the Judge had not received the paperwork. After the listings clerk confirmed that the Judge had most certainly received the paperwork and sent him another copy Mr Justice Bodey simply refused the hear the case which didn't seem very professional to me.

Eventually Mrs Justice Hogg agreed to hear the case. She proceeded to disregard the fact that no Mental State Examination (psychiatric assessment) had be preformed on a patient who has been admitted to the hospital by the police under the mental health act (a legal requirement btw). She then disregarded the fact that the lesser Mini-Mental State Examinations that had been preformed made it medically impossible for my grandmother to have been diagnosed with dementia. As the hospital failed to appear to be examined on their questionable evidence Mrs Justice Hogg then considered my brother's completely unqualified opinion that my grandmother's medical care was sufficient before considering my father's equally unqualified opinion that my grandmother's care was sufficient. She then ruled that my grandmother's mental health should not be considered due to her age.

This actually poses an interesting question because my 32 year old sister has many of the same symptoms as my grandmother and is being treated with the exact same medication (Respiridone). She also has significant physical care needs. So what age does my sister have to reach before her mental health needs no longer need to be treated?

Try and answer without using the phrase "When she owns her own home."

No comments: