Sunday 25 December 2011

So Did We All Watch the Queen?

Every year on Christmas day the Queen of England delivers a speech to her loyal subjects. Although it's not strictly speaking compulsory it is broadcast by all of the British terrestrial television networks but in these days of multi-channel and on demand broadcasting ratings have dropped off in recent years. So I can't help but thinking that Prince Phillip's recent health issues were nothing more then a publicity stunt. As this years speech which was recorded on December 9th spoke of families being forced together in the face of tragedy you might have also got the impression that the Queen's magic golden crown gives her some sort of mystical powers like predicting the future. It was nice of the Doctor Who Christmas special to play along.

As for my Christmas; Apart from the shock revelation that my mother was once in panto with Tony Blackburn and an odd conversation about gender roles in homosexual relationships and how they relate to the reformation it was incredibly pleasant. Seriously you didn't think growing up in a family as f*cked up as mine you would lack the skills to smooth over areas of conflict. By way of presents I got some beer, some cigarettes, an ash tray and a jumper/sweatshirt that I can clearly neither drink nor smoke. From my brother I got a DVD copy of the first season of a US TV show called "Brotherhood" which bills itself as the Wire only with Irish American gangsters. Neither of us has seen it but I've got a nasty feeling I'm in it.

Oh and the death toll in Nigeria is now over 35 and still rising.

No comments: