Tuesday 3 November 2009

Simon Mann's Been Released.

Today Simon Mann, a former officer with the British Special Air Service (SAS) was pardoned and released from prison in Equatorial Guinea on condition that he immediately leaves the West African country and never returns. Acting as a mercenary Mr Mann was convicted of attempting to lead a Coup to overthrow the government of the oil rich nation. Although the backers of the coup have never been officially revealed they are believed to be a cabal of high level members of the British Establishment including members of the House of Lords, Directors of British Petroleum (BP) and Mark Thatcher, son of former British Prime Minister, Margret Thatcher. The objective of the coup was to install a new government in Equatorial Guinea who would sell oil concessions to the coup backers on favourable terms.

As my given name is Simon and, last time I checked, I am a man this story could be interpreted as a reference to me. As I've not received any information that would indicate that I am to be released I think it is highly unlikely that this is the case. Instead I think the Brits are just putting this slant on the story in order to cover up the fact that they've just sprung one of their own from jail and discourage people from looking for the other coup conspirators. However there may be an element of the Brits attempting to get an idea of who may assist me in the future should that need arise.

As for the deal that brought about the release. I think it's just the government of Equatorial Guinea honouring a deal they did with Mr Mann back in 2008 which gave them a large show trial coupled with the fact that many African leaders are getting sick and tired of talking about the matter

No comments: