Wednesday 18 November 2009

The Queens Speech.

Today the Queen of England gave her traditional speech to Parliament at the State Opening of Parliament. Although the speech which lays out the planned agenda for the coming year is delivered by the Queen it is written by the Prime Minister. As such the event can provide a snapshot of the relationship between the Queen and the Prime Minister. For example last years speech had to be hastily re-written after the Queen refused to announce the Prime Minister's plan to set up a national identity database. This years speech was nowhere near as interesting because it's already been made perfectly clear that no relationship exists between the Queen and the Prime Minister and with only five months of Parliamentary time left before the General Election there is very little chance that any of the policies announced will actually become law.

I got up early especially to watch the Queen's speech but got distracted, forgot why I'd got up early and failed to watch any of it. Instead I watched Ugly Betty, which considering the Queen's given name could be the start of a very bad joke. I have managed to catch up on the speeches contents and I think the only parts of it that stand a chance of becoming law are the Digital Economy Bill that will tackle online piracy, the Financial Services Bill that will straighten the FSA to take action on bankers bonuses and the Fiscal Responsibility Bill which will compel the Government to reduce Britain's national debt. All three of these enjoy broad cross party support and the Fiscal Responsibility Bill covers issues that are above even the Queen's pay-grade. The Financial Services Bill might still get bogged down depending on how the public mood towards bankers changes over time. I wish I'd seen the speech, especially the part where plans were announced to get tough on anti-social behaviour. I bet that stuck in the Queen's throat because it was when it was included in the speech it was intended to be a metaphorical dig at me. However by the time the speech was delivered events had changed and it now sounds like the Queen is going to be forced to publicly throw her Loyalists to the wolves.

On that front this afternoon I got an unexpected visit from two Police Community Support Officers (PCSO). As I was in the bath at the time I didn't actually speak to them but they left a note asking me to call them back. As I haven't actually spoken to them I don't really know what's going on. However the fact that they're sending PCSO's rather then police officers does indicate that they are still intending to go down the Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) route rather then prosecution for specific criminal offences namely, burglary, attempted burglary, criminal damage and intimidation of a witness route. In a world where judges have integrity, so not Croydon then, this would actually prevent them from obtaining an ASBO because they are only supposed to be used when it is impossible to prosecute a criminal offence. By a stroke of luck I went out to get some cigarettes at around 18:30. The route took me past the house in question and parked outside was an empty police car, the occupants were presumably in the house. Although I have no idea what was going I suspect that the police were inside advising the suspects how to avoid prosecution. It does rather show the double standard at work though. To help mount the prosecution I get the help of two PSCO's. In order to avoid the prosecution the suspects get the assistance of two police officers.

What with having to chase up these PCSO's and re-send this letter to the mental health people it looks like I'm going to have a busy day tomorrow. I should then take this opportunity to make this clear and definitive statement;

I will not be undergoing Cognative Behavioural Therapy with Croydon PCT nor will I ever be calling Croydon home. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly a dangerous fantasist who should be detained under the mental health act for their own safety.

No comments: