Wednesday 11 November 2009

Now That Was Confusing

Normally on a Wednesday I wake up, have breakfast and wait to watch Prime Minister Question Time. Due to having a bit of a hectic day yesterday I overslept and expected to have missed PMQ's. I was a bit confused then to find myself watching it at 15:00. This was because it had been delayed to allow for services commemorating Armistice Day. This is the day when Britain stops to remember the horrific slaughter of the first world war and the British dead from all the wars since inclduing Afghanistan. Therefore the mood of the nation today has been depressed, irritable and erratic. A very small part of the reason for this was a series of announcements made yesterday and today.

Delay in Judaical Review. The verdict in the judicial review into the sacking of Sharon Shoesmith over the Baby P case has been delayed. This is because Ofsted suddenly uncovered a report into Ms Shoesmith's conduct which her legal team feel is crucial to the case. Therefore they've been granted more time to examine the report and Ofsted have been accused of withholding evidence. The case is clearly now being used as a metaphor for the issues I'm currently having with Croydon Council although I can't see the connection. Consequently the only reason for drawing the comparison seems to be to cause confusion. As I've previously mentioned the success or otherwise of Ms Shoesmith's case will have no impact on whether or not those responsible for the death of Baby P will be punished.

Baby RB Right To Die. This is the case of a 13 month old infant, known as Baby RB, with a rare genetic condition that leaves him unable to breathe unaided. His mother and medical team have been fighting for the right to withdraw medical treatment. His father had taken the case to the high court in order to stop them. Yesterday the father dropped his opposition allowing doctors to remove life support. In this story I am Baby RB, the mother is my biological mother and the father is my biological father. Therefore the announcement is that the Brits intend to remove life support from me. This could be a good thing because it indicates that the Brits are finally accepting that between me and them I'm not the one that needs psychiatric help. Sadly though I think it's more likely that they intend to attempt to remove my income from the benefits agency. I've not seen or heard anything that would corroborate this so it's hard to tell if it's a credible threat. After all it is difficult to tell if the Brits are lying because even when they're trying to be honest that truth rarely has any grounding in reality. Even if it is true I doubt the move will have any immediate effect on me. This is because even if no-one steps in to take advantage of the fact those benefit payments have actually acted as a salary cap I will be able to sustain at this level until 2012, possibly 2013. It does however cause me an interesting moral dilemma because if the Brits do follow through with that threat it puts pressure on me to respond in kind. As Britain is not as isolated from the international community as perhaps it needs to be such a response will have global consequences.

Canoeman Payback. Today it was announce that the wife of canoeman fraudster, John Darwin, would repay part of the proceeds of the fraud. As Mrs Darwin looks a bit like my mother's lesbian partner the message of the story is that the Brits intend to seize her assets and break up her relationship with my mother. Personally I don't think this is a realistic threat and even if it was it's unlikely to have much effect on me. Instead I think it's an attempt to increase tensions ahead of the birthday dinner I will be having with the pair on Saturday. Although it wasn't an intention of the story I do find the whole thing rather annoying because if it wasn't for the "assistance" of certain people I would have had this situation locked down by now putting the Brits in a very different negotiating position.

Taken together the purpose of these announcements is primarily to give faith to the Loyalists in order to prevent them from asking for actual evidence of success. They're also designed to intimidate me into dropping my rather successful attempts to have the Croydon Network punished. That's something that won't be happening and I'm confused as to why the Brits would want it to. After all in the next three to four years they're going to be punishing the Croydon Network anyway. Not because they're going to have some moral epiphany but because I've removed their tactical option not to. Therefore they might as well do it my way and salvage something from the disaster that is their existence. I would have have commented on this announcements sooner but they were also timed to be released on a Tuesday. On this day I'm normally a bit busy because I have to go shopping and endure a tedious pub dinner with my father. During the course of these chores I also have to make sure that my claims that the Croydon Network won't be successful become a reality. Although it meant I missed the news of the Fort Hood memorial service and Cameron's speech on poverty this actually went quite well.

No comments: