Monday 9 November 2009

The Brits Have Got A Sulk On.

It's something of a national sulk so it's hard to know where to start. I should probably start with how my day started. Two minutes after I activated my cellphone I got a call from the police to follow up on the report I made on Friday. As I was doing what most people do when they've just got out of bed I was unable to take the call. The police though did leave a garbled message the gist of which was that they'll send me a letter in a few weeks and have no real intention of investigating the report. The caller failed to leave their name, their police ID or a contact telephone number which made it hard for me to call them back. I tried to get in contact through the Metropolitan Police's main switchboard and was assured they would call straight back. They didn't so I called back at around 16:00 and had more success not only getting through to the Crime Management Unit and the Telephone Investigation Unit but picking up their non-public telephone numbers on the way. After an interesting conversation in which is was suggested that the Croydon Safer Neighbourhoods Team might wish to consider alternative employment a fuller report was made emphasising that physical evidence does exist and will be degraded by the police delaying an investigation.

During the course of these phone calls the police actually swore at me a couple of times which was a clue that they're not in the best of moods. Partly this is because I was calling them on my cellphone* and they know that these calls are being recorded so can be used as evidence against them in a court of law should the need arise. Mainly though it's because they realise that, unlike my father, I don't consider members of the Croydon Network to be either friends or colleagues so I won't be letting the matter rest.

It seems the spooks are as upset as the police because they've forced the Sun newspaper to run a story about how Gordon Brown upset the grieving mother of a British solider by sending her a scribbled letter of condolence packed with spelling mistakes. On one level this is a simple attack on Gordon Brown. This seems pretty fair because the letter is indisputably written by Gordon Brown so he is responsible for its contents. Personally I think the Sun or anyone else who thinks the UK deserves a sporting chance would have run the story without the need for the gun to the head. The story gets a bit more complicated when you realise that the mother in question looks a bit like the Linda woman we've been having issues with although she looks nothing like the middle aged bald man the police have been trying so hard not to find. This means that the story is also an attempt to heap pressure on Linda in the hope that this will further the Chav research project. Perversely the story is also an attempt to garner support for Linda by portraying her as a poor victim who was pressurised into her crime by the evil Labour government. Having met them and other members of the Croydon Voluntary Action Network I know as fact that this isn't true because they're nothing more then common criminals motivated by simple greed. Even if it was true it's still irrelevant because as anyone knows being pressured into a crime does not give the offender any defence for the crime they've committed. It merely provides mitigation for the type of sentence that is passed as punishment for the crime. I, of course, will consider any mitigation offered by the Brits but they have to understand the maximum sentence that I'm entitled to have imposed.

Today has also seen the funeral of Helen Smith. Ms Smith was a British nurse who died in suspicious circumstances in Saudi Arabia in 1979. Possibly because diplomatic relations with the Middle East are tense at best the Brits allowed the death to be ruled an accident. Since then Ms Smith's father has maintained that it was murder and insisted on having his daughter body kept in the mortuary in case it is needed as evidence. He actually gave permission to have a funeral a few weeks ago and that funeral took place today although has widely been mis-reported as a burial. I'm taking this as an attempt by the Brits to float the idea that Amy's father has given permission to have Amy buried away from her soft well paid job in a much less well paid and more stressful alternative. Obviously I cannot verify if he has given that permission, and I have my doubts, but if he has then once again Amy's father has been mis-informed over the cause of his daughters death.


*Well I've got to use those free calls for something.

No comments: