Sunday 13 June 2010

I'm Really Drunk But I Should Try and Tidy Up.

On Saturday my grandmother and father visited the Borough, London Welsh, Methodist Church. Apparently Simon Hughes, MP has been a "lay"* preacher there for a number of years.

If you don't know by now my given name is Simon as is I believe Simon Hughes' given name. When I was about 4 years old my grandmother took me to play in the same park where Simon Hughes was giving a TV interview. Being 4 years old I wandered off causing my grandmother to run around the park shouting "Simon, SiMON, SIMON!" at the top of her voice. Being an MP Simon Hughes decided that obviously she was shouting his name so he dragged the TV crew over to interview her. I'm sure this story is well known because well every time Simon Hughes appears on TV my grandmother tells it to me.

Therefore I think the Saturday visit was billed as "Simon Hughes versus my grandmother" while all the audience took notes. The only thing we've been able to decide as a family is that for a LibDem* Simon Hughes has piss poor dress sense.

The Sunday visit was to the London Welsh Protestant Church. A few years ago this church was threatened with closure until a plucky ex-barrister called Lloyd Lloyd was forced to fight the case. Apparently he found that the land site had a covenant on it that stated the property must only be used as a Welsh Protestant Church until around 2100AD. Therefore the Church was saved and Lloyd Lloyd became a god amongst the congregation.

Apart from that we've had the opening Group D games in the World Cup. I only got to see 20 minutes of Serbia V Ghana game which Ghana won 1-0 but I think it was the best 20 minutes of the World Cup I've seen so far. Later I saw the second half of the Germany V Australia game where Germany devastated the old men of Australian 4-0.


*Yeah in British politics the terms "LibDem" and "Homosexual" are pretty much interchangeable.