Tuesday 15 June 2010

I'm Back.

I actually got back about two hours ago but since then I've been busy. If you're really that interested I got a bus to East Croydon railway station. I then walked down George street where I stopped into a photocopy shop. I then continued down North End road where I stopped in a department store to buy more webbing to repair my sofa, it's a long story. I then walked through the Whitgift centre to a pharmacists to buy some insoles to make my shoes more comfortable. I then brought a sandwich from Subway and went to a hardware store to get these TV parts. In the end I just bit the bullet and brought a new analogue indoor aeriel which has solved the problem quickly and simply during the World Cup. I think you'll agree that's money well spent.

The hardware store I went to is by West Croydon railway station. By Croydon standards this is the dangerous side of town and there was certainly a tension in the air and a van load of police on standby. This could have been my fault because every time I go into a hardware store the police get really nervous for some reason. Today though I think the tension was the result of events today in Barking, London. Here the Royal Anglian Regiment were making yet another homecoming parade like they did last year in Luton. Again another MI5 front group this time calling themselves "Muslims against the Crusades" turned up to hurl abuse at the soldiers. About 100 members of the English Defence League (EDL) charged out of a near by pub and piled into the Muslims leading to much punchy punchy and about a dozen arrests. Bizarrely this relates to the World Cup because this year the UK Security Services have made very sure that no known English football hooligans (aka senior members of the EDL) will be attending the tournament in South Africa. As a result all these brave lion hearts are wandering around Britain spoiling for a fight.

I did not get home in time to watch the Prime Ministers statement to the House of Commons on the Saville report. I did though get home in time to see the Saville report being made public to the people of LondonDerry. This was done by a mass rally in the centre of the city that was attended by about 5-6000 people. After the speeches which celebrated the vindication of the Catholic protesters and damned the Protestant soliders ended the big TV screens went on to encourage people to stay around in the square to watch the Ivory Coast V Portugal. That game ended 0-0.

Tonight's World Cup match is Brazil V North Korea. As you probably remember Brazil are one of the best footballing nations in history. You may also remember that North Korea are a paranoid totalitarian nation who've isolated themselves from the outside world and built nuclear weapons.

I'll be watching this match down the pub which will be fun(!) I probably won't make an evening report tonight and if I do it probably won't make much sense because if I'm not drunk by 21:00 something's gone horribly wrong.

No comments: