Friday 13 June 2008

Well Thank God that's Over!!

Yesterday morning the hot water tap in my bathroom failed. Not only did it fail but it failed open. Meaning the sound track to the last 30 hours of my life has been the thundering crescendo of expensive hot water being wastefully thundered against cold hard porcelain.

If water torture wasn't mind destroyingly irritating enough the motors that pump cold water into the hot water tank and then from the water tank to the tap have been whirring away in overdrive. As we discovered the stop cock valve had also rusted open we had to wait for a central heating engineer to turn up in order to disconnect the pump and allow the water tank to drain. Now that has happened peace and serenity has finally returned.

Although it was just one of those things ( I should know, I broke the tap, sh!) the whole incident did provide a wonderful back-drop to the day because it caused lots of conversations with my dad along the lines of;

"You stupid man! We've been able to see this coming for ages. Why didn't you get it sorted much earlier? Did you seriously think if you ignored the problem long enough it would just magically go away?"

And him going;

"Now we've got to replace all the pipes and stop valves, that's going to be expensive."

and me saying;

"I know it's going to be expensive for you but sadly that doesn't mean you'll be able to avoid doing it. You really shouldn't have let the problem get this bad in the first place."

It would appear though that I wasn't the only one having meltdowns yesterday because we had the surprising news that Shadow Home Secretary, David Davies, has resigned his seat in Parliament in order to trigger a by-election which he intends to fight on the issue of the counter-terrorism act.

While that decision was clearly one he made himself after a rush of blood to his head it is interesting to see that he is now being vilified as a coward. This is strange because I fail to see how being prepared to risk a £60,000 a year job to fight against an issue that and alleged 67% of the UK population agree with is an act of a coward.

What I do think is cowardly though is the way that New Labour appear to be trying to avoid standing a candidate to defend a policy they seem to believe it right instead trying to strong arm the Sun into putting up a candidate for them. I do however hope all this talk of cowardice is not a reference to me and my current situation because that will only cause me to discuss the principles of the so called "Great Game" in more detail.

In other news my bank account has rather illogically slipped in to debit, my benefit entitlements are not being paid and I've received a letter stating the Student Loan Company are still operating under the impression my debts are to be repaid. I'm hoping this mis-calculations haven't been made in the hope that the threat of financial implosion will encourage me to engage with my OT because as we've already established I have far more to offer her then she has to me.

No comments: