Wednesday 25 June 2008

Ladies and gentlemen this is why I hate living in Croydon

My local fish and chip shop is owned, as they tend to be, by a Chinese family. This particular one has just switched ownership from one Chinese family to another. The other day my dad told me this and I responded, quick as a flash;

"Oh, so they've changed Hans."

And he just looked at me blankly. Which is a shame because I was either expecting laughter or a lecture on Marx's rules.

I wasn't going to post today but I've been getting the feeling the some people are claiming I've been showing disregard for "democratic process" by failing to comment on the long running "Anonymous Witness" saga which started a few weeks back when the law lords ruled that in fact yes defendants have the right to face their accusers and no, witnesses giving evidence in criminal trails cannot be protected from cross examination. This came to a head yesterday when a £6million, multi-year trial collapsed.

I should explain that I hadn't commented on this because for me to consider it part of the "democratic process" I would have had to engage in the fantasy that I had committed a crime, been arrested for a crime, charged with a crime and put on trial for a crime. I would also of had to believe that to be considered a "witness"our dear Sadie had in fact produced something vaguely resembling useful testimony against me. Unless I've been in one hell a depressive fugue none of those events have occurred rendering the language of the metaphor invalid.

Also I was quite sure whether or not I wanted to labour the point that if we had an successful state, witnesses would have no need to hide behind anonymity because we would have an effective witness relocation process.

OR

That I thought holding a £6million, multi-year trial to establish what everybody else already knows could be considered just a little bit wasteful.

No comments: