Saturday 28 July 2012

The 2012 Olympics: Day 1.

It's been a bad day for Team Columbia. As I woke up one of their cyclists in the men's road race crashed and had to replace his bike. Later in the day their women's soccer team were thumped 3-0 by Team US. After last night and on the day Albanian weightlifter Hysen Pulaku was expelled from the games after testing positive for an illegal drug (Stanazolol - an anabolic steroid) do I really need to explain what this was about especially with Team USA indicating that they're still taking a tough line on marijuana through Micheal Phelps. The question though is did the cyclist crash on purpose in order to telegraph the soccer loss?

As for the rest on the sport I've come to the conclusion that I simply can't watch 24 TV channels at the same time. This leaves me with a choice between picking a handful of sports to follow in obsessive detail or taking a general overview of the main controversies. As I seem to remember that comments I made about the luge event at the 2006 Winter Olympics might have contributed to a lugist being killed at the 2010 Winter Olympics I think the general overview will probably be the safest option. That's a shame because I could actually take a legitimate interest in some of the Olympic sports. For example when I was about 10 years old I was a somewhat promising competitive swimmer at the local level. Unfortunately I developed an allergy to chlorine and other pool cleaning chemicals which caused my sinuses to swell. This left me with a choice between training and breathing and apparently one of those is quite important to the other.

22:20 on 28/7/12.

No comments: