Tuesday 26 July 2011

Now That's Just Rude.

I did go up to see my grandmother's senior house officer (SHO) at 15:00. The problem was that the SHO didn't turn up and we were left talking to Occupational Therapist (OT) who seemed intent on selling us an expanded care package. Before we got too far it to that conversation I politely reminded her that we'd come in to speak a doctor. Before I had the chance to explain that I wanted to ask questions that from my time working with OT's I knew she wouldn't be able to answer she accused me of being aggressive and threatening and asked me to leave to room.

She did however carry on the conversation with my father and is recommending a care package of five hours per day, seven days a week at £15 per hour so a total of £525 per week. It was such a sales patter they're even prepared to sign us up for a 1 month free trial.

After making myself a polite but large and immovable object at the nurses station I did eventually get to speak to the SHO about 16:15. The key points are;

  • All blood an urine tests are negative for infection.
  • The Buprenorphine patch was removed on Friday (22/7/11) which corresponds with the improvement of mental status.
  • Both MRI's show evidence of age related degeneration but absolutely no evidence of vascular dementia or any other form of dementia.
  • They are adamantly sticking to the vascular dementia diagnosis and are refusing to request a psychiatric consult.
As an interesting aside as I was waiting for the SHO I overheard two of the freshly qualified junior doctors holding a conversation in which they explained exactly what treatment my grandmother should be receiving. So it's clear the problem we're facing here is an attitude problem not a lack of medical knowledge problem.

No comments: