Monday 25 July 2011

More On My Grandmother.

For the last three days my father has been putting pressure on me to visit my grandmother is hospital. This is so my interactions with her can be studied by the surrounding medical professionals. Today (26/7/11) I relented and made a quick visit between 17:30 and supper which is served at 18:00. This was just enough time to do a quick assessment.

Although she is my calmer my grandmother is still holding beliefs which are factually not true. She lives on a farm in Wales for example. When questioned about these beliefs or alternatives are suggested. For example that the address might be slightly different she refuses to even entertain the idea and becomes aggressive. So she's showing clear evidence of traumatic psychosis then which requires a psychiatric assessment to confirm.

However her doctors are flatly refusing to do this and are still pushing the dementia diagnosis despite all the evidence to the contrary. I should be meeting with the consultant tomorrow and it will be interesting to see where we will go from here because they can't discharge or transfer her until her condition improves and her condition won't improve until they call in a psych consult to diagnose and treat it.

No comments: