Saturday 19 November 2011

Have I Mentioned That I Hate Working on Saturdays?

Unfortunately I have to though because I'm developing a nerdish and unhealthy fascination with the OPERA experiments. The Italian led researchers now claim that they have re-run the experiment and once again found neutrinos to be moving at 60 billionths of a second faster then the speed of light thus contradicting Einstein's theories of relativity. Although this is clearly way out of my league I can't help but ask one obvious question;

Speed = Distance / Time. In the OPERA experiment the distance travelled by the neutrinos was measured to within a margin of error of around 25mm using the Global Positioning System (GPS). In order to function the satellites that make up the GPS require that Einstein's theory of relativity is accurate. Therefore surely the results of the experiment disprove the methodology of the experiment.

And that's not even the complicated part of the debate surrounding the OPERA results.

No comments: