Friday 22 February 2013

Oscar Pistorius Makes Bail.

Well technically he hasn't 'made bail.' He has though been granted bail provided that he provides the Court with R1million (USD113,000 approx). However following a tedious argument about cash, bonds and tax liabilities I pretty confident that money will be delivered and Pistorious will be freed from jail later this evening.

Once that surity is provided Pistorious will be subject to some pretty standard bail conditions such as surrendering firearms and travel documents and having to report to a police station twice a week. Pistorious is also banned from consuming alcohol or drugs. I like to think this last one was aimed at me. The initial trial date has been set for June 4th 2013 (4/6/13).

I personally think this is a good thing. That's because while metaphors are all well and good it is the actual Oscar Pistorious who has been sitting in a jail cell for the last eight days. Not the actual Chris Brown.

I would like to say that I'm still wondering if the US have picked up on the South African's hint about theatrical and needless delays to judicial proceedings. However with what's been going on with my phone throughout the afternoon I'm going with the answers are; "Yes" and "Really not happy about it."

In mean it's not like pre-trial detention could ever be an issue in Libya which is still a bit fighty at the moment.


15:30 on 22/2/13.


Edited at around 16:20 on 22/2/13 to add:

I missed a bail condition. Aside from; surrendering all travel documents, surrendering all firearms, reporting to a designated police station twice a week and not consuming drugs or alcohol Oscar Pistrious is also prevented from returning to his home. Normally this would just be the pretty standard; "He must not return to the crime scene" However as in this specific case is the crime scene is also the accused's home a specific Judaical order had to be made.

Therefore "refraining from drugs or alcohol" is the only non-standard bail condition I can see. And as I'm not the actual Oscar Pistorious I'm free to ignore it.

No comments: