Wednesday 24 August 2011

So Much For Normal.

With my grandmother in hospital and all the confusion about when and how she will be discharged my usual routine has more or less disintegrated.

For example today (24/8/11) I went to the supermarket to buy some fresh vegetables on a Wednesday rather then a Thursday as I normally do. On my way back I came up to the junction between Melfort and Brigstock road. There was a police Territorial Support Group (TSG) van parked across the junction and the police officers were carrying out an aggressive and seemingly random stop and search on two young black men. I saw pretty much the same thing going as I was making my way back from the pub on Sunday (21/8/11).

The last time I saw the police behaving like this it was in the run up to the anti-Gaza war protests in January 2009. They ended in violence and led to thousands of young Asian, mainly Muslim, men being sent to prison for long and disproportionate sentences.

So if the police are behaving like this across London then it seems to me they're deliberately trying to provoke further rioting at this coming weekend's Notting Hill Carnival.

No comments: