Sunday 21 August 2011

Another Night In Hospital

Amid the chaos and confusion of the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week working environment that is the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department my grandmother was transferred to the Medical Assessment Unit (MAU) in the early hours of this morning (21/8/11). For someone admitted by ambulance with a non-serious head injury this is an unusual move that is likely to bring the attention of NHS (British government) and hospital (Croydon University nee Mayday) management. So between 16:00 and 19:00 my grandmother was transferred back to the exact same ward she was discharged from not so long ago.

Officially this is being done due to concerns about my grandmother's "movement." Unofficially it's being done because no-one's got the courage to contact the police or use the General Medical Council's (GMC) whistle blower system which allows registered medical professionals to anonymously report other registered medical professionals whom they suspect of mal-practice or criminal behaviour. This is a shame because until that is done it is the taxpayer rather then the guilty who will have to pick up the bill for all these ambulance rides, hospital beds and CAT scans.

Although no consultant has been officially pulled of the golf course I suspect that come Tuesday (23/8/11) I will be on that exact same Purley ward having the exact same argument with the exact same one of Dr Tam's (with an M) underlings that I had before they discharged my grandmother for the last time. The only difference is that this time we won't have the exact same locum Occupational Therapist (OT) who got so aggressive the last time.

However due to the confusion about whether or not my grandmother would be discharged the chef (me) decided that it would be easier if my father, my brother and I ate out this evening (17:00 - 19:00). Of course that meant the pub. So even though I'm now drunk off my eyes on a nasty chemical mess that claims to be cider I think we learnt two important things at the pub.

Firstly we learned that due to the rioting the North End to Broad Green section of the London Road still looks like someone's bombed it. We also learned that on Thursday (18/8/11) my little brother appeared on the Russia Today (RT) news channel talking about the riots. Sadly we cannot attribute this as a cause for my grandmother's recent problems because in our house we don't watch those lesser news channels on account of them clearly letting any old idiot on screen.

Anyway it's now about 23:00 on 21/8/11 and I definitely need to try and Google that RT thing. I should also try and catch up on the BBC2 drama "The Man Who Crossed Hitler." Although a challenging piece I thought it told the story of the silly little Jew boy who helped Hitler's rise to power by giving him an education in courtroom theatre. So something of a Communist lecture then.

No comments: