Friday 26 August 2011

How Disappointing.

Today (26/8/11) at around midday I asked my father if we were going up to the hospital for my grandmother's ward round. He responded by becoming a bit aggressive and flatly denying that the ward round takes place on Friday's. Knowing this to be false I went up on my own.

On arrival I was disappointed to find that the police were not present and the ward had not been closed as a potential crime scene. However this did mean that I was able to catch my grandmother's SHO as the ward round ended and because my father was not present we were able to talk about him more freely.

So we talked about how he finds caring for my grandmother stressful and how he seems to find these frequent trips to hospital and the attention they bring exciting. We also talked about how sister's health problems only started to improve once my father had been excluded from decisions about her care. We also talked about the several occasions that he has had to be removed from this and other hospital's by security. We also talked about how back in 2000 the local police were forced to issue a bulletin to all local hospitals and GP surgeries about my father and his repeated attempts to interfere in other people's medical care.

As for my grandmother herself we discussed about how yesterday (25/8/11) she again became highly agitated and due to this agitation fell and again split her head open requiring yet another CAT scan. Although that scan showed no immediate problems it led on to a discussion of whether a medical ward was capable or providing the type of care my grandmother requires or whether she needs to be transferred to a psychiatric ward. The doctor agreed that this was a definitely possibility but they couldn't possibly attempt it until they'd ruled out a urinary infection.

So I asked if they'd done the simple urine test to rule out an infection. The answer was no so I asked the obvious question of why not. This led to an uncomfortable silence but I didn't push the issue further because that silence spoke volumes. Besides no-one likes being forced to admit that they're deliberately refusing to perform tests that will disprove their diagnosis.

Anyway I hope there's a dramatic improvement in attitude by the next ward round on Tuesday (30/8/11) otherwise I will require the entire hospital not just a single wing. And yes that bombing of the UN compound in Nigeria is looking more suspicious by the second even if a Nigerian government containing the father of the Detroit underpants bomber won't see a thing.

No comments: