Wednesday 6 October 2010

That Was a Headache.

All day I've been getting these missed calls on my mobile phone. I could tell from the number that they were from the post-court department at Croydon Magistrates Court but without a voicemail message I couldn't tell what they wanted. Trying to sort out this little mystery meant that I almost missed David Cameron's speech to the Conservative Party conference. I did eventually find out that all they wanted to tell me was that they're posting out my copy of the summons today and reconfirm that the Court date is set for October 12th. Really that was something that just could've been done by voicemail.

As for David Cameron's speech I have to admit that I sort of drifted in and out before getting really bored and going to the shops. However the main aim of the speech seemed to be to win over party members who are still not convinced by David Cameron and his decision to go into coalition with the LibDems. Mr Cameron attempted this by informing the conference that Conservative Party idol, Marget Thatcher would be celebrating her next birthday in 10 Downing street before going to remind the delegates that he had a wife and children which plays to the core Conservative belief in family values. He then relived the celebration of the election before indulging in some light Labour bashing in order to inspire passion amongst the party activists. He ended by reminding the conference of the grave economic situation the country is in before invoking the language of war time leaders like Winston Churchill and Lord Kitchener. This was done firstly in an attempt to make the Labour Party the owners of any coming spending cuts. Secondly it was done to quell dissent in his own party by creating a wartime culture where criticism of the leader is a seen as an act of treason that aids the enemy.

No comments: