Wednesday 5 May 2010

The Election.

Today (May 6th) Britain goes to the polls in its General Election. This is normally the point where I would urge everybody to go out and vote in order to protect this hard won democratic right. Not this time though because sadly what will happen in Britain today is a coronation not an election. This means that every vote cast and every ballot spoilt will be nothing more then a simple vote against democracy. That makes it every citizens duty to stay at home and abstain.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary my father and grandmother still think that because they are white and belong to the right church they will be safe in a dictatorship and they will certainly vote. So today I will probably find myself in a polling station with a voting card in hand. Assuming I don't panic and accidentally vote for Alexander the Meerkat that just leaves the question of who to vote for.

If I still lived in Brighton Pavilion this would be a simple decision. Unfortunately I now live in Croydon North which makes everything more complicated. Although not strictly speaking a bell weather seat Croydon North tends to elect a MP who is a member of the governing party. To complicate things even further I see a lot of me in my MP's future. Under those circumstances it is better to have a MP that's in government then in opposition so I'll be voting Conservative because the one thing that is certain is that David Cameron will be Britain's next Prime Minister.

As for the Council election if the next few months are allowed to play out the way they are meant to play out then there won't be a Croydon Council so it's a bit pointless electing one now.

No comments: