Saturday 24 July 2010

Thank F**k That's Over.

Now the AIDS 2010 conference has finished I can tell you this story.

On Monday July 19th my grandmother fell in the bathroom and smashed her head against the sink. The resulted in minor cuts to the forehead and significant bruising to the orbital bone known as the eye socket. Although more of a terrifying vision of the future rather then a major problem this really knocked her confidence and had a negative impact on her mental health.

My father celebrated this. He saw it as vindication of his behaviour and an excuse the speed up the rest of his plans.

I didn't celebrate it. I saw it as a perfectly predictable effect of long term buprenorphine use.

Buprenorphine is one of the heroin substitutes that the Austrian authorities have made special dispensation for delegates at the AIDS 2010 conference to carry with them. The other is methadone.

No comments: