Friday 2 July 2010

Football's Back and FIFA Will Never Hear the End of It.

The Netherlands have just beaten Brazil 2-1.

Unfortunately before I get on to that I need to bring up some home news. On July 7th my father and grandmother will again be visiting the House of Lords again. As Britain's top judges, known as the "Law Lords" are members of the House of Lords this could be the meeting where this Court of Protection business is decided in either my or my father's favour. Either way I'm sure it will be packed people on a fishing trip. I hope it's not where this Court business is decided because I'm not invited so I've got no way to tell the court what my father's been up to this afternoon. Basically he's been creeping round the back of my grandmother's house tapping on the windows to give her the impression she's being broken into. Since then he's been watching the football with me and because he knows nothing about football he's been giving instant and wrong analysis of every incident. The Brits have also been offering me things to drop this Court business. So far I've been offered the chance to work on a Bristol allotment for free and the chance of a job with Croydon council that involves driving seriously mentally incapacitated people around in a big blue bus. I'll bring the Brits back into the conversation when they start being serious.

As for the football the thing you need to remember about Brazil is that they've won the World Cup so many times tournament organisers, FIFA, let them keep the trophy and brought a new one which technically isn't even a cup. With pedigree like this it's no surprise that Brazil started the match the stronger team. This dominance showed through when Robinho put Brazil ahead on 10 minutes. It was an excellent goal played a perfect 30 yard pass which allowed Robinho to beat the off side trap and then just flick it past the keeper. Then after a conversation with the Japanese referee the Brazilians suddenly stopped playing.

On the 53rd minute this absence of the Brazilian football team allowed the Dutch to score a strange equaliser. After a short free kick Scneijder crossed an excellent ball into the penalty area for Ooijer to head in. Much to the Brazilian keeper's surprise Ooijer missed it so rather then making a good save Julio Cesar ended up crashing into Felipe Melo, his defender while the ball went into the net. This has wrongly gone down as a Felipe Melo own goal. In the 68th minute Sneijder scored the wining goal. A Dutch corner was flicked on by Kuyt to Sneijder who headed the ball into the net for a goal no-one can take away from him.

While is seems that the argument about video referees is going to continue to bother FIFA though out the tournament and no doubt long after it ends in the semi-final the Netherlands will go on to play the winners of tonights match between Uruguay and Ghana. I could tell you who I think is should win but that might be over the line.

No comments: