Tuesday 13 July 2010

Oh Dear oh Dear oh Dear.

Since my conversation with CAYSH I did a little brushing up on housing law. Turns out I was totally correct.

The maximum protection available to the tenants at #50 is through something called a 6 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy. From the conversation's I've had I gather this is the type of tenancy being used. If it's not then eviction only gets easier. Under the terms of this type of tenancy the landlord can seek possession on the grounds that;

"The tenant, other resident or visitor has caused a nuisance or annoyance to neighbours or other people visiting the area."

These grounds are considered so severe that it invalidates the 6 month fixed term of the tenancy so possession can be sought at any time. Also it means that possession can be granted instantly with no requirement for a notice period. The Judge can simply summon the residents to Court, make them surrender their keys and order them not to re-enter the area under threat of arrest and criminal prosecution. This is what CAYSH will be doing and if the forms are too complicated for them I'll fill them in myself and may even waive my usual fee.

I have also identified some other legal options which I'm sure the Brits would like advanced warning of. So shall we just say I suggest that they take the path of least resistance on this one.

No comments: