Friday 16 October 2009

My Letter Has Arrived.

The letter I sent to Croydon Integrated Psychological Therapies Service (CIPTS) in response to their offer of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has now arrived so I can share it's contents with you all;

Dear Sir/Madam
As previously discussed with you department at great length the nature of my condition means that no therapy will be effective until a suitable social placement can be found. As the PCT is currently unwilling or unable to provide such a placement I am forced to defer your offer of an appointment on November 6th. I should make it clear that this does not mean that I am no longer interested in starting therapy because I look forward to benefiting from your service just as soon as an appropriate treatment program can be provided.

Further more I have to say the fact that you are prepared to discuss details of my treatment with my father against my express wishes leaves me concerned that you lack the commitment to patient privacy and confidentiality that is necessary when providing psychological treatment.
Yours faithfully.

As I'm sure you'll agree there is nothing in that letter that constitutes a refusal of treatment it merely requests that certain pre-conditions, one of which is legally enforceable, are met before treatment begins. Anyway as previously discussed a refusal of treatment does not automatically trigger a termination of benefit payments it merely provides a justification to the Department of Work and Pensions should they wish to terminate benefit payments. That said I think we're all aware of the mood music at the moment.

Ahead of next weeks expected strike the Royal Mail has been exceptionally busy today because my father also received a letter inviting him to take part in the UK Biobank http://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/ Run by the NHS and supported by my always sinsister old friends, The Wellcome Trust Biobank sets out to collect the genetic information of 500,000 UK adults aged between 40 and 69. Officially this is being done to improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of illnesses including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dementia and joint problems.

Unofficially, and I apologise if this sounds insane, it makes it look less and less likely that they want to stick my grandmother in a CAT scanner to provide effective treatments for the illnesses of aging and more and more as if they're trying to genetically map my entire family in order to help them genetically engineer an army of super soldiers. Either that or they're trying to prove once and for all that I am inferior to Prince Harry in which case I suspect it's likely to be a long assed research project.

No comments: