Monday 5 October 2009

I Feel Sorry For the Tories.

The Conservative party conference has begun today in Manchester UK and although the party is going to form the next British government and the next general election is to be a mere formality I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the poor lads. You see the issue of Europe has long divided the party between those who vehemently oppose it and those who accept it as a pragmatic reality. Therefore I can't help but think that Ireland's yest vote to the European constitution was timed to coincide with the start of the conference in order to divide the party and end any potential fightback before it gets started.

Secondly the agenda for the conference was formulated months in advance. This meant that the big announcement for the first day was that the Tories plan to go to war with incapacity benefit claimants and force them into work as this is the key for giving them new and happier lives. This is a carbon copy of the Labour party's Arbeit Macht Frei policy and a thinly veiled reference to me. On the plus side there is still a week of the party conference to run so that that should be more then enough time for the Tories to realise that policy needs to be filed under stuff that ain't never going to happen.

Elsewhere the British Establishment have unveiled a memorial to the Special Operations Executive, a memorial to the Paddington rail crash and published a book detailing the history of MI5. All this should have made it very difficult for me not to reminisce especially as I was meeting my mother for drinks but I think I just about managed it. As for the meeting with my mother it's a little to early to call it as either a success or a failure as my mother is not famed for making good decisions and no doubt the sisterhood will be on hand to fill her head with rocks again. That said I think it is going to be very hard for her not to notice that if she continues on her current path it will end with her, my sister and my brother living in that miserable little flat for the rest of their miserable little lives.

Tomorrow I will procuring and new mobile cellular telephone device. I feel I should give this prior warning to GCHQ because I know how they're prone to tantrum.

No comments: