Tuesday 25 December 2012

Ah Christmas - Truly a Magical Time of the Year.

It's the one day you can have a double scotch for breakfast and drink steadily for the next 18-20 hours but never feel the effects because you've been stuffing your face with turkey, bacon and ham. I can't understand why our Jewish and Muslim friends never really got into it.

Anyway with my grandmother dying we thought it might be an appropriate time for my father to rejoin his ex-wife and her new wife for the day so we were all aspiring to boredom. In the end my father opted to entertain himself so my family had a very quiet day. Well between the funerals, house moves, the Olympics, the outbreaks of dysentery and the chemical burns it was more like five stunned people sitting around going; "December 25th already, are you sure?!?" As a result the genuine highlight of the day was BBC1's flagship "Doctor Who" Christmas special which will be broadcast across the globe and discussed extensively on the Internet. Fortunately it was infinitely better then last year and as I try to explain it see if you can work out why.

Set in Victorian times the story centred an alien force known as 'The intelligence" which on earth manifested itself as a type of sentient snow which could talk but was controlled by people's emotions. Without spoiling the story too much older gay men who have relationships with much younger men/boys took quite the bashing while more age appropriate lesbian relationships got a big thumbs up. After all the line "I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife." has got to go down in television history.

Also some gifts were given and received but I'll get onto that later. Now where did I put the brandy?


23:25 on 25/12/12.

No comments: