Sunday 19 September 2010

Finally Some Progress.

Over the weekend my younger brother, with his masters degree in creative writing, moved himself and most of his books out of our mothers flat. He has now moved into a house share with ex-university friends and friends of those friends.

Despite all being either privately or Grammar school educated and having achieved advanced degrees from some of Britain's better universities they are all under-employed and struggling to re-pay their student loans. This is something of a cultural trend in the UK at the moment and one that is likely to become politically charged as cuts start to bite within higher education. Therefore there is obviously a small research element to my brother's new domestic situation. Mainly though it is just him taking his place within the cultural mainstream.

Most importantly though it leaves my mother with a three bed roomed flat that is only partially occupied for a maximum of four nights a week. So let's not have any more of this nonsense about my poor father having to take me in because I have nowhere else to go.

No comments: