Wednesday 2 December 2009

British Yachtsmen Freed

At around 04:00 GMT today Iran freed the five British yachtsmen who had been detained after illegally entering Iranian waters. Obviously the British are claiming this as a massive diplomatic triumph and the Iranians claiming it shows their compassionate side. What really happened is that part of the reason for the operation was to allow the Brits to establish a communication channel with Iran in order to assess the power structure in Iran and find out what is happening in relation to their nuclear program. The Iranians gave the sailors the once over and decided that they were men of little to no value so released them in order to close that communication channel. That seems like a good decision because the Brits were already trying to confuse the discussion by making it about me. It does slightly show Iran's compassionate side though because they could have closed the communication channel by simply shooting them.

As I stayed up so late last night that I got to hear about the sailors release before going to bed today has been a complete write off. I do think it's fair to say that the relationship between my father and grandmother is now totally hellish. So I won't be forgiving and I won't be forgetting and I certainly won't be rewarding that sort of behaviour.

No comments: