Tuesday 6 December 2016

Well That Scared The Horses.

You may remember that last Christmas I was given an Amazon Fire tablet as a gift. This was celebrated by massive fire in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Since then my father has been rather keen on getting a computer tablet for himself too. This was rather amplified by the recent Black Friday sales.

Since then I've been trying to explain that although I'm more than happy with my gift if I was spending my own money I would choose differently.

The main problem with any Amazon tablet is that they're sold cheaply to allow Amazon to then try and sell you further goods and services.

So rather than using the Internet you're only allowed to use the bits of the Internet Amazon have a contract with. Also in order to use those bits of the Internet you have to be signed into your Amazon account. With your Amazon account being linked to your bank account this presents a significant security issue.

Given my father's rather cavalier attitude towards Internet security coupled with the fact he doesn't have an Amazon account an Amazon Fire isn't really the product for him. Instead it would be better for him to pay the extra £20 for any other generic Android device.

Finally we settled that he would get a Lenovo Tab 3. However my father has got so fixed on the idea that he wants an Amazon Fire he's given me the Lenovo and is now using my Fire.

Obviously that's a good deal for me. However having spent two weeks trying to argue myself out of that good deal I've given myself a bit of a headache.

That hasn't been helped by the fact we've had to go to the store twice. Once to discover they didn't have one in stock. Then having ordered it over the Internet once again to pick it up in store.

Plus I've been trying to get to grips with the new device while helping my father get to grips with the existing device.

20:55 on 5/12/16 (UK date).

No comments: