Tuesday 14 February 2012

I am so Very Alone.

Although I returned from the pub at around 20:15 to discover no problems my father and brother went on to the nursing home to see whether my grandmother is mentally present enough to accept visitors at this late hour.

As for dinner it was pleasant to the point of being a bit dull. My brother started by explaining that the purpose of his recent visit to Norway on behalf of the British Council was to chair a discussion about multiculturalism at the Tromso film festival. After that we just stuck to small talk. In particular my review of the DVD he gave me for Christmas and I finished watching today (14/2/12) "Brotherhood" as it relates to the current FOX&ABC V the FCC case at the US Supreme Court. I think this is an interesting story that I need to get round to telling one of these days even if the look on his face told me that it's probably only of interest to me and about 14 other people. The abridged version is that HBO once made this famous and very gritty crime drama called "The Wire." CBS tried to emulate the success of that show by making it's own version called "Brotherhood." The problem is that HBO is a cable network and therefore exempt from the FCC's rules so can do what it likes in terms of sex, drugs, swearing and violence. CBS is a broadcast network which is bound by the FCC's very strict rules on sex, drugs, swearing and violence. So while "Brotherhood" is very well done every episode is mainly apologising for not be allowed to be as gritty as "The Wire." In the middle of awards season FOX and ABC are currently at the Supreme Court asking to be also exempted from the FCC rules. Therefore M.I.A's outburst at the Superbowl was just a foreigner desperately trying to hang on to her work visa as time runs out on her career. Like I said, small talk.

We then discussed how my new HDTV box has brought me lots of (well two) new channels. So while I probably won't be going to bed just yet I think I'm calling time on the Internet while I go off and watch TV.

No comments: