Sunday 23 August 2009

I Caught The Police

Well on the telephone at least. I've just being in touch with that burglary squad detective who called yesterday. It turns out he's neither DS Sherlock nor based at Addington police station but he does want me to come in on Tuesday (25/8/08) at 16:00 to look at the big book of mugshots to see if I can identify our suspect. This presents us with a bit of a problem because eye-witness testimony is not great at the best of times and my memory should have faded over the ten days between the report and the appointment. However here we've been struck by another bit of good fortune.

On the Tuesday before the robbery the ink supply in my favourite writing pen ran dry. This forced me to venture out into the badlands of Croydon's Whitgift shopping centre to get a fresh supply. While I was there I decided to build up a strategic reserve of two ink cartridges, two A4 notebooks and a new favourite writing pen. I also brought a new academic diary and as I picked up the diary I suddenly realised that the stationary shop was absolutely packed with school kids and their parents stocking up for the start of the new school year. This made me feel depressingly like a geography teacher and in my panic decided to also buy a pack of highlighter pens and an A7 notebook. Of these two items that I had no real use for at the time the A7 notebook has proved to be the most useful because it's quite a lot like the pocket books the police use and the pocket book I was drilled to use to write down every minute and inane detail when I was a traffic warden.

So when I sit down with the police on Tuesday it looks like we're going to be having a little battle of the pocket books. This will probably be more fun and less hassle then Wednesday's Climate Camp but I suspect I'll lose because I've already petulantly defiled my pocket book with blue ink.

No comments: