Tuesday 25 August 2009

Busy, Busy Day.

First up my father took my grandmother to opticians to assess the extent of her macular degeneration. As he's been in my bloodline for a number of generations Christopher Kerr is quite an impressive ophthalmologist. Aside from his private practice he is also a consultant for Croydon Health Authority, President of the British Contact Lens association and has published a number of research papers including one on the use of gas permeable contact lens to inhibit the progression of myopia. In his opinion my grandmother's condition is not beyond the point of no return and can be "treated" with special spectacles which my grandmother will have to pay for the privilege of having.

Then I went to my much trailed meeting which the Metropolitan Police's Croydon Borough Intelligence Unit (BIU). On the way there and on the way back the Croydon Voluntary Action network of community based agents were out in force. This meant I was treated to a number of third sector care workers leading round adults with learning difficulties, a man on a bike shouting abuse on me and a man who looked similar to our suspect walking along with a freshly applied plaster cast on his lower left leg. I arrived at South Norwood police station a little bit early and the BIU officer was there waiting dressed in a white T-Shirt bearing the slogan "Working Class Hero", shorts and flip-flop type sandals. This outfit is remarkably similar to what I wore to meet that Smash Edo Gold Commander although to complete the look the officer should have not slept for the last two days.

The WAD interview itself involved looking a 19 pages of 12 images per screen of mugshots and FIT photographs on a lap top. Although the 228 photographs didn't include anyone even vaugely like the suspect it did include a photograph of our dear Linda's ex-partner. The idea of this was to make me falsely identify him as the suspect giving the authorities the excuse to go digging around in their domestic violence case study. Of course this would not help bring the suspect(s) to justice and would have legal ramifications for me so unless I've been dramatically misled over British Intelligence's capabilities I cannot imagine how that would possibly be in my best interests. I also handed over my fingerprint elimination card and informed the officer that the suspect is identical to a man who attempted to carry out a robbery at my grandmothers house on 17/8/08.

While I was doing this Gordon Brown chose today of all days to meet Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu in Whitehall so I guess this post should have been titled; OMG! Gordon Brown's an idiot, volume 3,007,489!

No comments: