Saturday 22 August 2009

A History of Violence

I mentioned yesterday that in response to my recent, I suppose you could call it a robbery the Brits have been making wild and unfounded claims about people being arrested. Perhaps confusingly the Russian's have also joined in making a big show about how they are also making arrests.

This stems from an incident in November 2006 when two Eastern European men carried out a distraction burglary on my grandmother. They stole a variety of property including a significant haul of jewellery. Despite being told that the criminals had used reasonably sophisticated surveillance techniques to track their victim, impersonated police officers in the commission of the crime and were specifically looking to steal passports the police took one look at the address and didn't bother attend for the best part of a week. Unknown to me at the time the Brits tried to hide their shame at this incident by translating "Eastern European men" into "Russian Special Forces" and proceeded to trash the Russian's reputation by blaming them for the crime. Although I can't go into much detail I can confirm that the two men who carried out that crime were non-state actors and most certainly not Russian.

As for the more recent robbery the burglary squad finally got in touch first thing this morning and it turns out DS Sherlock won't be handling the case after all so feel free to make up your own joke. I haven't actually had the chance to speak to the officer who is handling the case because he'd gone off shift by the time I called back. I will try and get in contact with him again tomorrow but in the meantime there has been a awfully high number of marked police vehicles parked in my street. This is part of the deal the police have done with the council whereby they will continue to protect the council's pet burglar providing the number of recordable incidents against me drops off for a few months.

No comments: