Thursday 31 July 2008

Can you guess what day it is today?

That's right it's Thursday!

Thursday is traditionally the most stressful day of my week because it it is the day that I spend two hours helping my disabled grandmother cook a horrifically overblown meal which my father, my brother, my grandmother and me then sit down to eat as a family while discussing the news of what is going on in our lives.

Purely by co-incidence Thursday also happens to be the day when something unexpected usually happens to stress us all out.

Today the Whitehall gods of coincidence have excelled themselves by pulling something extra special out of the bag because for a start my home Internet connection has been blocked forcing me into an Internet cafe. The main event however was the early morning phone call I received informing me that my anorexic sister has once again been admitted to hospital by Surrey Police.


Obviously the first reaction anybody would have to this news would be to rush around in a panic and do anything they can to try and help. I have to admit that this was my first reaction. The problem I have with acting on that urge though is that I know full well that my sister's myriad of mental health problems are the direct result of being raised by the British State who are so sociopathic and violent they genuinely believe that ruthlessness is a valid alternative to competence.

This knowledge puts me in a difficult position because I know that if I rise to the bait and help my sister I will be rewarding the state for a violent attack on her. Doing this will only enforce the notion within the state that it can use violence rather then ability will get it what it wants and it will continue to use violence against thousands. possibly millions of people in the future.

That represents quite a moral conundrum I'm sure you'll agree because do I endanger thousand by attempting to help one or do I endanger one by attempting to help thousands?

Of course the sisterhood at channel 4 will be telling everybody that it's a no brainer because "The state has changed!". It's a shame really that the poor little darlings haven't realised by now that the state have been using that line for the last forty odd years.


Edited at 14:23 to add: Although the specific trigger has yet to be indentified my sisters admission was a result of the increased stress she was under on account of the fact she was made homeless at just about the same time I was having that little spat with Mind in Croydon. Although the reasons why she was made homeless are not yet clear I'm sure that the local housing association and relevent authorities bear no legal liability for the situation.

No comments: