Monday 28 September 2009

I Happen to Think That Went Rather Well.

Last week was a busy one in politics. The Liberal Democrat party held their party conference and their leader announced that he wanted to be the next British Prime Minister to which his own audience responded with a silent cry of "Well you've joined the wrong party there then!" The Scottish Parliament returned from its summer break and held earnest debates into procedural tedium. In the small moments I was able to tear myself away from that adrenaline ride of domestic politics I also heard rumours that there was little something going on in New York. To co-incide with the General Assembly of the United Nations the hyperactive US President, Barack Obama also called a UN Climate Change meeting, a meeting between the Israelis and the Palestinians and a G20 summit to address the challenges of the world economy.

With the global recession putting traditional western democracies in decline to the advantage of Communist China and middle eastern and sub Asian economies who are perhaps not as democratic as they should be this was a very risky strategy. That risk was only compounded by the fact that most of the meetings took place on United Nations Sovereign territory making it something of a diplomatic free for all. However by allowing all the nations in the world to spend a lot of face time with the President on neutral ground America has gone a long to convince the world that the isolationism and lunacy of the Bush era has come to an end. By staging President Zelaya's return to Honduras to co-incide with the General Assembly the CIA should have been able to quash any lingering and entirely false allegations that they were behind the original coup. That was hampered slightly though by the fact that after just six days of psychological operations by the coup leaders Zelaya appears to have gone even more mad then he was to start with. America also managed to avoid the global warming trap that had been laid for them and the markets seem confident that no real progress was made on increased regulation of the banking sector. As I've seen no evidence of any serious security breaches I would have to say the only real mistake was the announcement of Iran's second enrichment plant. This will make it hard not to place actual sanctions on the actual Iran at Thursday's meeting and well if you wanted to avoid a nuclear middle east you're about 40 years too late. I would say though that now might be a good time for the big, bad CIA to openly and honestly tell their new commander in chief what happened when I went toe to toe with them and by toe to toe I mean they outnumbered me by about sixty to one.

Now by the sounds of things my father, my mother, my grandmother, my brother and my sister all still seem intent on dragging themselves down into oblivion as evidenced by the Pilkington case. So it looks like the worlds going to have to make room for me again because dealing with people who are committed to bringing about their own destruction doesn't half try the old patience.

No comments: