Friday 23 September 2011

Well I'm Certainly Voting For A Sovereign State.

Mainly because I've been drinking since about 17:00. It's now fast approaching 23:00 and I must confess that I've not got around to watching all of today's speeches at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).

This is because, as far as I understand it, the Palestinians have only made their application for full statehood to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) today (23/9/11). Normally this type of application will first require UN staffers to prepare a full report that will be sent to committee. If the committee approve that report the matter will then be sent to the UNSC for consideration and eventually a vote. This process usually takes several weeks so there is little chance of a result being announced before the end of this UNGA. However I have heard rumours that in this instance the process may be speeded up to allow a UNSC vote on Sunday (25/9/11). However I don't think this can possibly be true because it would force UN staffers to work at the weekend rather then going out tonight and getting drunk before waking up tomorrow in their hotel rooms crying.

Anyway did I mention the drinking?

No comments: