Monday 11 August 2008

I actually think Climate Camp went quite well.

Fair play the "day of action" was a bit flat. It was either strangled by a large and effective police operation or the idea that a bunch of hippies armed with bongo drums and pen knifes would be able to take down part of Britain's energy infrastructure was always a little optimistic.

The other six days of the camp went well with workshops on pretty much every topic under the sun along with singing, dancing and general messing about. This of course would have been improved slightly if the police's medieval warfare re-enactment society hadn't turned up or at least accepted that people camping in a field do have legitimate uses for so-called "bladed objects".

In spite of the police the camp did manage to produce two inspired protests, the first when a gang of tiny Lego protesters managed to scale and unfurl and banner on a equally tiny Lego Kingsnorth power station and Legoland Windsor

Secondly a dozen naked protesters superglued themselves to the headquarters of the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) . I'm not sure if the UK protest movement gives awards for valour but they should certainly win it for that combination of bad weather, superglue and acres of naked skin.

Now loathed as I am to do the police's intelligence work for them I should point that neither I nor my associates have ever been involved in the Climate Camp. Not that you could tell from the police presence.

In a similar vein I should also apologise to the UK media and the BBC in particular because since I commented that I felt people were using my silence on the Georgia - Russia conflict to attack my credibility people have been raining fire down on their heads. That ignores the fact that when I got that impression I was actually cooking dinner and half watching a long pre-recorded documentary about the river Thames. It does sort of demonstrate the mentality of the BBC's superiors. They don't have the knowledge or the courage to solve our little palindramic problem so they just lash out wildly at whoever comes to hand.

No comments: