Tuesday 4 March 2014

Stand Back, I'm About to Fix Egypt;

Yes I know.

If I was sober I could reach to the top of Tunisian hill and grab a diary in my hand. Then trip, stumble, fall and roll all the way to the foot of an Afghan mountain before proclaiming; "I've Have a New Title!"

Unfortunately I can't manage that so instead I'll have to try to find a new way to blend the need for security into security's need to be paid. I was thinking of a rude joke about taking a shitophile in El-Sisi's beret. But until then I'm sure this will work;

"It's the Road-map Stupid!"

01:00 on 5/3/14 (UK date).

Edited at around 13:20 on 5/3/14 (UK date) to add; What I think I was trying to say was;

In recent weeks Egypt has been engulfed in another round of political drama with the interim government stepping down amid widespread strikes and protests and being replaced by another interim government. There has been some suspicion that this has been done to allow Field Marshall El-Sisi to run for President. Apart from the fact that I've been really busy I find it very hard to be interested in this because the significant problems with the constitution remain unsolved. With the foundation document of Egypt's democracy being so deeply flawed it doesn't really matter who is the President is or who sits in the government. In fact I would go so far as to say that Egypt could appoint actual Camels to run the country for all the good it would do.

A large part of the reason why Egypt has got itself into this mess is that the US tied a large amount of funding to the passing of a constitution - any constitution. As a result The Egypt's interim government came to look upon the constitution simply as a task to be ticked off a checklist rather then a foundation document essential to securing Egypt's future.

So when - a few days - later US President Obama said in his State of the Union (SOTU) speech that the US had been helping to spread freedom and democracy all the way from Tunisia to - I think - Afghanistan I wanted to punch my TV because under Obama the US has very much been an opponent of freedom and democracy in the world. That is something that Ukrainians would be well served to bear in mind.

1 comment:

shyshour said...

zeal replica bags go to the website b7q43t8n72 replica bags india replica kipling bags browse around here h6x69u2s90 replica bags in uk special info b2h19o8x15 replica louis vuitton best replica bags online 2018