Tuesday 19 May 2009

The Moatman Prophecies.

With everyone in the UK calling for the dissolution of Parliament and an early general election I woke up today facing a simple choice. I could either go shopping or write a long and tedious polemic on why an early election would allow MP's with dodgy expenses but safe seats to escape punishment. As an example I was going to use Douglas Hogg the Conservative MP who claimed £2000 to have his moat cleaned yet held a seat in Sleaford & North Hykeham a constituency which is only ever going to vote Tory. While I was pondering this conundrum Douglas Hogg resigned so I went out shopping safe in the knowledge that I only need to think of something and it would happen.

While I was out shopping and possibly having a little drink the Speaker of the House of Commons rather sensibly decided that he was going to resign of his own free will. After his dreadful performance yesterday this was hardly a surprise because apparently there's a whole mile of green carpet between the speakers chair and his commons office. The resignation means that there will be a by-election in Speaker Martin's constituency of Glasgow North-East which the Labour party will lose. The only question is will they be beaten by more then they lost by in the Glasgow East by-election.

Meanwhile in New York scientists are apparently examining the worlds oldest fossil. I think that's a bit harsh on the Bristol contingent especially as they apparently can't afford a TV between the pair of the them and have to rely on the much harder knocks of having things filtered to them through their friends and colleagues. A broken cipher if there ever was one.

As for the shopping I'm not really sure what I brought but how does everyone feel about Gordon brown having a heart attack?

No comments: