Sunday 6 April 2008

Well it's been a funny old day.

First I woke up at around ten which if you know me is practically unheard of for a Sunday morning. I think the main reason for this was something to do with the fact that Radio 1 was all of a sudden playing the forbidden songs and much as I love Rage Against The Machine "Killing In the Name of" isn't exactly my ideal way to welcome in the day.

Having finally got out of bed with a little bit of earache I discovered that in fact it had been snowing, in London, in April which meant my first cigarette of the day was smoked in the freezing cold while watching the cat trying to figure how to deal with this strange cold, white stuff.

Then I switched on the TV to watch the Olympic torch relay through London and was shocked to discover that the Metropolitan police suddenly had no idea how to police a slow moving, carnival type procession through the Notting Hill area of London. I was also shocked to see Konnie Huq, the Daily Mail's favourite centrefold being accosted by a ruffian as she ran with the flame. An image that will no doubt play well next time there's a public debate about how to police non-state sanctioned demonstrations. Then somebody tried and failed to put out the flame with a fire extinguisher and there was lot's of Tibetan freedom protesters heroically throwing themselves in the path of torch in much the same way they did when the Chinese President visited in 2005 and in much the same way when his predecessor did in the 1990s.

Then the torch arrived in Downing Street where the Olympics minister admitted that she didn't expect to see the Tibet situation to be resolved this year or the next or for some generations to come. Then the wind blew the flame out and the procession was moved onto a bus.

All in all it was quite an entertaining watch especially the thrilling moment when the BBC helicopter almost flew into the police helicopter and a lot better then the grand prix.

I know there's much more of the day to go but with all the excitement of today I think I'm going to have to have to have a bit of a lie down. That and some beer.

No comments: