Thursday 29 January 2009

Is this the definition of annoying?

Before the Christmas holidays I decided to take a break from my normally hectic schedule and watch the trilogy of Bourne films because I've never seen them. As if to prove I've never seen them I went out and managed to buy the first Bourne film and the third Bourne film. This meant I had to go out again and buy the second film. When I arrived at the shops I discovered I could buy all three of the films in a neat little box set for less money then it would cost to buy any of the three films individually. To make matter worse I got home to discover that the second film was, that night, being shown on TV for free.

Of course I still haven't had time to actually watch any of the films because I've been too busy filling in that "Has to council grown a braincell?" form. This odious 32 page, poorly punctuated, document is packed full of questions just crying out for smart mouth answers including; "Do you suffer from any serious mental impairment?" and "Is there anything else you would like to tell us?" and those are just the occasions where they bother to publish an actual question rather then simply just printing a series of possible answers asking you to guess. As with all other government forms it ends asking you to sign a declaration that all the information you have given on the form is correct and you understand that if it is not the courts may take action against you. I'm sure this last question is totally unnecessary under the principal that those who come to the law must do so with clean hands but I filled it in none the less just like I did on the last form. Besides I've checked the relevant legislation and discovered that there is no legal barrier whatsoever to the council authorising my application. Of course there are a number of procedures that could be used to block the application but rather then being a legal necessity these are mere procedures that only need to be invoked at the councils discretion. Therefore if the council chooses to invoke them I will have no option then to conclude they wish to pick a fight which doesn't need to be fought and they have no chance of winning.

In related news this week the council offered me a place in one of the 100 or so boxy new build flats that sprung up across the borough just as the mortgage market collapsed. This means that Croydon Council already have sufficient funds in their budget to fulfill their obligations but they are only prepared to do so if the money is paid to one of their cronies. I've also heard an rumour that Ms Sadie Belgrave is no longer in the employ of Mind in Croydon. For her this is a terrible shame because if she'd left when first instructed to do so she would have left facing a buoyant job market.

No comments: