Monday 26 November 2007

So here we are in blogland once again.

If anyone has bothered to read my previous posts you will all understand that I'm a little unfamiliar with this new fangled blogging thing.

Some people have told me that you should definately be on it and others have told me to steer well clear because it's nothing more then a way for Google to read your deepest, darkest thoughts and use them to find new ways to sell you crap but no-one has told me what you're meant to write so i guess I'll just tell you about my day;

I'm twenty something years old and today I went to work at the Enterprise Shop, which is a community mental health project run by the charity Mind. The project is designed to rehabilitate people on long term sickness benefits and get them back into the world of paid employment. Despite the fact that this objective is one of the stated aims of the British government, the British government seems to hate us because the Primary Care Trust has decided that it no longer wants to pay for the service because it doesn't meet their service model.

Obviously the other 5 services which Mind provides but the Primary Care Trust but don't pay for are perfectly fine (This includes a counselling service that the PCT are legally obligated to provide.) Obviously this led to a bit of a local campaign that culuminated in a meeting with the PCT where Mind said;

"So what service model do you want us to provide?"

To which the PCT replied;

"We don't know. We kind of hoped you would tell us, even though all we can offer you is coercion and violence."

Into this horrible and messy situation walked a hero. A hero in the human form of Sadie, our new project worker. Sadie is brilliant because she went to the Grande Parade Campus of Brighton university (Just like me), she's a lesbian (Just like me) and she used to work doing live in care work (Just like me) so obviously I've instantly fallen in love with her and want to share all my secrets with her. Problem is she's useless. Ignoring the fact she hasn't got the faintest clue of how to do her job she's also picked up this very nasty habit of telling the customers that the decison to remove funding from the project was made by Mind's management rather then the Primary Care Trust.

No comments: