Tuesday 22 September 2015

Medical Dramas

A couple of weeks ago I was complaining that I couldn't make an appointment to see my doctor despite being sent a letter insisting that I make an appointment to discuss some blood test results. I really only brought this up to highlight how bad the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) must be for the UK - given it's own  questionable record on human rights - to think that they've gone too far.

Today I finally did have an appointment with my doctor to discuss those blood test results. Annoyingly I didn't get to bring up the issue of the surgery's booking system because I think that's the sort of thing best discussed in person and it's the sort of the small problem I can probably solve while taking a break from thinking about much more complex problems.

Basically the issue with the blood tests is that they showed ever so slightly elevated cholesterol and slightly reduced liver function. The next step is to have the tests re-done because the results are within the margin of error rather then a cause for concern. Prior to getting the tests done you are supposed to fast for at 12 hours. Just after getting them done I realised I'd only fasted for around 10 hours. If the new results show the same issue the treatment option is lose weight by taking more exercise. I'm already on top of that.

Whilst getting those tests done I'll also get blood tests for gout done because I did have a suspected flare up in early July. This actually worked out quite well because it pretty much forced me to sit at my desk and work on the climate change stuff. Even if that was gout it might not show up on the test because I certainly don't have any current problems. With two suspected flare ups in 18 months and an extensive family history I think it's something I need to check out though.

As I'm putting my medical records online I should point out that all these blood tests will be done at my local Croydon University Hospital (CUH). Today the UK announced that Cambridge University Hospital (CUH) will be placed under special administrative measures. On the day of an emergency European Union COuncil (EUCO) meeting that will no doubt touch on the issue of refugee's human rights this seems to be the UK making clear that there will be no more problems regarding CUH.

After all this really shouldn't have been an issue. But it suddenly became one.

12:45 on 22/9/15 (UK date).

No comments: