Thursday 6 February 2014

Yeah My Body Hates Me.

It is remarkably consistent though.

You may remember that in the run up to the 2012 Summer Olympics and for a little bit during I was suffering a lot of pain in my left big toe/foot. This led to some discussion about whether this was just standard soft-tissue (tendons, ligaments, muscles etc) damage or gout which is a form of arthritis. Well as we approach the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics I am now experiencing a lot of pain in my right big toe. This time around though it most certainly is gout.

When I twisted my right ankle recently I basically damaged all the soft-tissue around the joint. This forced all the other soft-tissue in my foot and leg to work much harder in order to compensate. The extensor tendon running down to my big toe was particularly affected to the point where it was this tendon rather then the ankle that was damaged when I had my little relapse at the start of last week. As part of its healing up process that tendon now seems to have dumped a load of lactic acid into the phalange joint where it is being really painful.

I suppose the upside is that it does help prove that may last Olympic toe injury was in fact soft-tissue damage because that was a sort of intermittent stabbing pain. This Olympic toe injury is very much more a constant chemical burning type pain. Needless to say whatever I had planned for today has now been firmly cancelled and I must say that I'm becoming less keen on the idea of the Olympics by the second.

13:45 on 6/2/14 (UK date).

No comments: