Saturday 30 April 2011

So What Did I Miss?

Yesterday (29/4/11) my friend who was no fan of the Royal wedding drove up to take me down to Brighton. He timed the journey so we were on the road during the wedding. When we got down to Brighton we went out for a quick beer and to run a few errands. We then had a small BBQ in his garden before heading into the centre of the town for something of a pub crawl.

It soon became apparent that the people of Brighton had taken the idea of a street party that little bit further. The first one I came across was was being held at the bottom of North Street. As this is right in the centre of the town and more or less directly across the road from Brighton police station it was soon shut down by the police. I second party I accidentally wandered into was being held further out of town towards the marina. Although the police were happy to leave this one alone it suffered from the rain, an incorrect rumour that it had been cancelled and the fact that the police monitoring it were directing party goers to a supposedly much bigger but non-existent rave near Ditchling. As me and my friend have been away from that scene for so long we couldn't be bothered with it and instead went home to watch Inception which worryingly made perfect sense from start to finish.

Today (30/4/11) we took a trip into town to do a post-mortem on the night before and gradually make my way back to London where I arrived at around 19:00. As the people I was with were intent on giving the MayDay protests a wide berth apart from an obviously high police presence I managed to miss that completely. I gather it was quite small with only around 200 people turning up. Apparently there was also some rioting in Bristol on Friday night.

No comments: