Thursday 23 July 2009

So What Have I Missed?

Since Monday I have been cutting the grass under my father's close supervision. There isn't that much grass to cut but somehow this simple task has managed to take up three days of my life and due to mechanical failures is still unfinished. This means I haven't had much time to watch the news and from the bits I have seen there doesn't seem to be much happening.

The only real highlight was Britain getting itself into a bit of a tangle over it's Swine Flu advice to pregnant women. On Sunday one government department issued a statement advising pregnant women to avoid going out in public and to avoid crowds. This was mainly for my benefit because on Sunday morning my sister turned up for a visit and my brother turned up for dinner in the evening. Someone obviously decided that filling the days news agenda with images and stories about pregnant women avoiding swine flu would give me the impression that the Bristol contingent is now pregnant causing me to go into a panic that would help the state long planned counter offensive along. It didn't work and the best bit is that the story managed to confuse quite a few other government departments which released a flurry of statements all offering different advice. After two days of chaos they finally agreed on a statement that advised pregnant women to "practice good hygiene to protest themselves against swine flu."

There has also been the bit of local news that Croydon Council are now out of the running to become a sort of regional development zone. I haven't read up on the details of this but I'm aware that Croydon have been chasing this status for a number of years and are so upset about the financial consequences of failure that they're threatening legal action against the Greater London Assembly. I don't think Croydon had much chance of success in the first place but the story still made me smile because it brings to mind the old adage that things that can't learn to be flexible often end up broke.

No comments: